The USM Foundation requires that travelers retain and submit all original receipts for reimbursement purposes.
An acceptable receipt is a document that contains:
- Transaction date
- Name of merchant
- Transaction details (what was purchased)
- Form of payment used
- Amount of purchase
- Indication that the amount was paid
An acceptable receipt for an airline or Amtrak ticket is defined by the type of ticket purchased.
- An acceptable receipt for a printed ticket is the original passenger receipt coupon. Such receipts are provided to the traveler when a printed paper ticket has been purchased.
- An acceptable receipt for an electronic ticket purchased through an agency or on the web, is the printed itinerary/invoice. The itinerary/invoice should show the airline, flight numbers, times and destinations, class of service, amount and that a payment has occurred.
- An acceptable receipt for a change or cancellation penalty is a document showing the additional charge accompanied by an explanation as to the business purpose for the change or cancellation.
Service fees charged by travel agencies do not always have a receipt but they are a reimbursable expense.
No receipts are necessary for mileage reimbursement in a personal vehicle but an attached mileage log is recommended. A printout from Map Quest or another on-line mapping site must also be submitted to substantiate the distance.
An acceptable receipt from the rental car company is a receipt showing the breakdown of costs, i.e. size of vehicle, daily rate, tax, concession fees, city surcharge, etc. A credit card receipt does not contain detailed information and is not considered adequate documentation.
An acceptable receipt for business meals is an itemized meal receipt along with the credit card payment receipt. A credit card receipt does not contain detailed information and is not considered adequate documentation.
An acceptable receipt for hotel charges is the itemized hotel receipt provided at time of checkout showing the room rate, tax and other items.
A receipt in foreign currency must be accompanied with the US Dollar equivalent amount. The best and most accurate currency conversion is the conversion that credit card companies provide on statements.